... because life's too short to do anything ALL the time . Creativity and positivity are my "hiraeth"

Friday 19 February 2010

Fair Enough

I found a wonderful place to shop today. I went down to Chapter Arts Centre with the Mumatron to take part in the launch day of Fairtrade Fortnight. We weren't lucky enough to catch most of the vendors/displayers as things, er, shall we say, didn't take off as soon as we would have liked.

While waiting for the show to start, we went for some gorgeous vegan mushroom soup and organic farmhouse bread in the cafe there and enjoyed the space. It's rare to see such a mix of Mums with babies, families with kids, city suit wearers, studens, vagrants, hippies and poseurs all cohabiting so comfortably in such delightful surroundings.

The centre gift shop is an absolute pleasure. Beautifully hand crafted wares of all descriptions, gorgeous books printed locally and by Welsh authors. My very favorite article was something I really should have, I have the right to have but simply can't purchase this year was a cotton tote style shopping back that had stolen it's design and font from the "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters of the 1940's but instead, it said "Quick! Buy More $hit or we'll all fecking die"! You see what I mean?! I simply must have it, but can't buy it! I'll add it to my wish list!

So after a lovely lunch and wander around the centre, we walked down to the greengrocer in Canton and called into a shop I've been meaning to stop into for ages called Fair Dos.

Everything they sell is Fairtrade friendly and, I must be honest, I could have spent a fortune in there. Beautiful fabrics, knits, recycled papers, and food stuffs. I picked up a gift for a friend who has recently given birth to a baby girl. I'm afraid I just haven't had time to make her something and I really don't know what sort of thing she likes for the little one, so I picked up a handmade, recycled, fairly traded photo album embellished with a gorgeous newborn baby logo and origami pram. It's well pretty, very useful and something to keep forever so I'm quite pleased with that.

I also found a shop with a branch close to my home that stocks all the environmentally friendly products and I had no idea it was there. It's on the high street, employs local people, stocks anything I could wish for in the organic/green produce, so I ordered my double pack of salt toothpaste, and off I went, happy as Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment