... because life's too short to do anything ALL the time . Creativity and positivity are my "hiraeth"

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Prom Heaven


I'm lucky enough to have some jolly splendid friends and nothing makes me happier than having something to make for them. My good mate has asked me to write a few of my inner wisdoms (?!) down for her so I've decided to make her a nice book. This is how it has started it's life - an inexpensive hardback jotter. He's not going to look like that for long!


And it's coming up for that time that most parents dread - the school prom. I find it very alarming to hear about the friends of my pet teenagers from low and normal income families who are spending HUNDREDS on frocks for growing teenagers determined to out do the others. I'm very sorry (well actually I'm not at all sorry) but I cannot and will not subscribe to that mind set. Even if I had the money and the inclination to purchase said frock, I bloody well won't - that's no fun at all.

So, the story so far, 35 metres of delectable emerald green satin off of the lovely ebay, and a Butterick pattern for £8.15. Don't get me wrong, we had a bit of fun in Cardiff trying on all the dresses we had no intention of purchasing, all in the name of research. I'm also going to be making opera gloves....ooo - scary! Never done them before!

I actually anticipate having sufficient fabric to make myself a little frock for the wedding of the year in October - no, as much as I'm looking forward to the Royal wedding, the golf royalty wedding is actually the wedding of the year, eh Hels?!


And the beetle? Everyone knows I love the old insects in jewelery ( I am assured that these bugs are all from "sustainable sources". I have a couple already and I picked this one up the other day as he goes totally and brilliantly with the fabric (I know it doesn't look like on the pictures but they are the exact same colour) and while he's currently a keyring, he will very shortly be a necklace. Perhaps as soon as tomorrow - I might wear him out tomorrow night. He is the prom jewelery. Beat THAT for individuality in a prom outfit!

Speaking of Individuality - I should mention that my step-mother's shop is called that and it can be found in Pontypool market. My step mother has come to the rescue as far as a dressmaker's mannequin is concerned. I collect her tomorrow, so once I have her, the creativity can commence! Watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. I went on a book binding course last year and loved it. The book I made is now used for my jewellery ideas :).

    Mum and I go to TK Maxx a lot and they have some lovely dresses that could be 'blinged up' for a fraction of the price they charge for Prom Dresses. Making sounds way more fun anyway :).

    Have you been watching Gok Wan for inspiration? :)

    ReplyDelete