... because life's too short to do anything ALL the time . Creativity and positivity are my "hiraeth"

Tuesday 31 August 2010

If You Can't Stand the Heat...

... get out of the kitchen, because your probably in my way anyway. I have a LOT to do!

The Christmas Cakes have started. I've done my research, found the recipe I like, and have dispatched my trust husband to retrieve the ingredients. He has an extensive list!

In order to make my cakes, I reckon four at a time I can cook. They'll have cooking times of nearly 5 hours per set of four, there will be four different cooking sessions. I think I'd better schedule in an oven clean after that!

Kath, if you are reading this I PROMISE I AM NOT GOING TO BE EATING ANY OF THESE CAKES!

I needed a calculator just to work out the quantities. I must knock off after this to tidy up and make sure I have enough room for the ingredients, before anything else.

13lb Currants
6 1/2 lb Sultanas
6 1/2 lb Raisins
2 lb Glace Cherries
2 lb mixed candied peel
A bottle of rum/sherry, something like that
6 1/2 lb Plain Flour
2 jars of nutmeg
2 jars of ground mixed spice
6 1/2 lb Butter
6 1/2 lb brown sugar
52 eggs
2 lb flaked/chopped almonds
1 tin of black treacle or molasses
13 lemons
13 oranges
1 bag of whole almonds

Crikey!

This is now an urgent appeal. I need cake tins. Not the sort you cook them in, the sort you store them in. Roses tins or biscuit tins, that sort of thing. I had loads after Christmas but they've all been given away as presents. Either that or some good ideas for how else to present them?

No comments:

Post a Comment